Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Is It Really Necessary To Be Mean?

I'd like to talk to you about your mean, malicious streak.

But first, I would like to welcome all the new friends to my page. I hope all of you find this site useful, or at the very least, interesting. Please feel free to ask me questions or offer suggestions in the comments section.

Now, let's discuss that cruel, God-like complex you have. I mean, you do have one, don't you? As a writer, it's essential, and the more sordid it is, the better off your characters will be. But don't just take my word for it. Here's what my friend, Mike Ruchhoeft, over at Cowboys and Dragons At The Cafe has to say about it.

"You have to be evil for the sake of the story. You must make your characters suffer...it's up to you, as their god, to forge them with pain, disappointment and sorrow. You control their world, use that: floods, earthquakes, meteors, a rolling boulder, a toppling tree. You can arrange circumstances to rouse their greatest fears, use that: a loose lion, a raging river, an unstable rope bridge over a chasm. You can foster misunderstanding, paranoia, and hate. You can make their lives a living hell, and you must. It's for their own good."
So tell me, Great Nasty Manipulator, what is the worst thing you've ever done to one of your characters?

2 comments:

  1. Good post Vicki,

    Well, this may not be the worst thing I've done, but I gave my hero a mentor. She was an alluring creature and she wore nothing at all. She was beautiful with wanton eyes and a brazen demeanor. All woman, well, except for the wings and feathers for hair. And her feet. Poor Egon liked pretty feet but hers were the talons of an eagle, scaly shins and all. Poor Egon was attracted and repulsed at the same time. What fun that was.

    ps I know I have arrived as I have been quoted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like taking the words right out of your mouth, huh? Poor Egon...a lot of us women can relate. :)

    ReplyDelete